When it comes to weight loss the first thing that it is necessary to mention is metabolism. Though many people suppose that metabolism has direct link with the rate at which body burns calories, that's not absolutely true. Metabolism refers to lots of body processes like digestion, heart rate, breathing, circulation and more.
Below you can find 10 facts Medicure Polyclinic had gathered about your metabolism:
1. Metabolism is controlled by the thyroid gland. This small gland receives messages from your brain when there come energy, protein production, digestion, hormone regulation and other body processes.
2. Underactive thyroid can cause troubles when losing weight. It also has other negative effects such as fatigue, hair loss, depression, dry skin, low sex drive and other troubles, which can be reduced by thyroid medication.
3. Although it is commonly known that skinny people have a faster basal metabolic rate, that's false. Scientists found out that body composition and size determines how much fuel (got from food) you need to produce energy. That means the bigger you are –the more fuel (food nutrients) you need.
4. Regular physical activities will boost your metabolism. Weight bearing/ resistance training is the most effective way to speed up metabolism. The bigger your muscle mass is- the faster your body burns calories.
5. Men have higher BMR than women. Thos fact explains why teenage boys turn to burn up what they eat faster than teenage girls who are more disposed to accumulate fat tissues.
6. Metabolism slows down gradually as we age. Every 10 years it becomes about 2% slower beginning in your early to mid 20s. The main reasons for that are the following: as we age we have less physical activity and lose muscle tissue.
7. Genetics is not the last factor that influences metabolism. If you come from naturally fit and thin ancestors, the chances that will remain slim regardless of hat you eat are rather high.
8. Crash diets that deprive you of vital nutrients in order to get an extremely fast weight-loss, will definitely backfire. If you consume less than 1200 calories per day, your metabolism is significantly slowed down as the body thinks that it’s starving.
9. Eating every 2-3 hours speed up metabolism and promote weight loss. But it’s still important to fuel your body with healthy food. An easy way is to eat three smaller meals and 2 snacks every day to make the calories burn.
10. Metabolism can be boosted with stimulants. Medicure Polyclinic experts found out that consumption of caffeine and spices can slightly stimulate your BMR.