Men with body mass index (BMI) of 30 or higher are more than others exposed to develop a prostate cancer. If you suffer from obesity or are overweight, Medicure Polyclinic recommended to lose weight can be very profitable for your health and it will decrease your risks of one of the most common cancer developing.
How to Maintain a Healthy Weight
To lose pounds you can start with reducing the daily amount of calories you consume and adding some physical exercises to your daily routine.
If your weight is healthy, you just have to maintain it by regular exercising and keeping a healthy, low-fat diet, that is rich in seeds, whole grains, fruits and vegetables.
Medicure professionals studies showed that the high-fat diet, which includes a big amount of saturated fats results in an increased testosterone level that leads to prostate’s growth.
Consider the following recommendations, which will help you to maintain a healthy weight and as a result decrease the risks of prostate cancer:
- Include antioxidants in your regular diet. These are generally contained in fruits like tomatoes, watermelon and berries. Vegetables, such as bell peppers and squash also have excellent antioxidant properties.
- Add more cruciferous vegetables in your diet. These are cauliflower, broccoli, Brussels sprouts and cabbage. The medical society explored that men who eat these vegetables 3 or more times a week have less risks of prostate cancer. Those who eat 28 or more servings of any vegetables per week are 35% less likely to have prostate cancer than those men who eat less than 14 vegetables a week. It is considered that vegetables can neutralize cancer cells in test tube studies.
- Try to eat less food with saturated fat. High-fat products may increase the risk of prostate cancer developing.
- Consume more fish, as recent studies also showed that those men who eat fish regularly are less likely to have cancer than those who don’t eat much fish.
- Keep a healthy weight with the help of exercises like cycling, walking,
running, and swimming.
Medicure experts also suggests using specific nutritional supplements, which can weaken the symptoms of prostate cancer as well as decrease the risk of its developing. Ask Medicure Doctors about the best ways you can achieve weight lower the risks of cancer.